Through the looking glass with… Steve Sutherland
As part of our employee blog series, we put a different member of the Dortech Maintenance team in the hotseat every month – asking 10 quickfire questions about their role, personality and the world of commercial glazing, all in 10 minutes!
With not long on the clock, they have to be fast! Next up, it’s the turn of our chairman, Steve Sutherland…
Name: Steve Sutherland
Job title: Chairman
- Describe working at Dortech in three words:
Addictive, dynamic and interesting.
- Sum up your typical day in a sentence:
I arrive, the time flies in an exciting blur, and then I leave to go home – no one day is the same at Dortech!
- Are you an early bird or night owl?
Definitely an early bird – it’s a force of habit. Also, I believe that it’s nice to welcome each day with energy and enthusiasm, and any challenge as quickly and early in the day as possible.
- Your favourite Dortech project/site visit to date:
I enjoy all maintenance projects – particularly due to their variety, the forensic search for the cause of problems and their most cost-effective solution. Our customers appreciate us and value what we do, it’s a nice environment to work in.
- What’s your favourite driving song?
I don’t have one. I generally prefer the quiet, self-contained environment of the car to think. However, on the occasion I do listen to music, it will be whatever is played between the news and traffic bulletins.My specific taste in music ranges from Les Misérables and Queen to Abba – or anything uplifting and catchy.
- What’s one item you couldn’t live without?
I don’t think I have one, other than probably my specs, which I need to see!
- Tea or coffee?
It has to be tea!
- Your favourite sandwich filling?
Tuna with tomato and red onion – it’s a winner every time.
- How would your colleagues describe you in one word?
Just one? Probably grumpy – but hopefully also helpful and supportive.
- If you weren’t Dortech Maintenance’s chairman, what would you like to be?